Book R & R: Rampage by James M. Scott

This Book Recommendation and Review is for Rampage: MacArthur, Yamashita, and the Battle of Manilla by James M. Scott.

I don’t remember how this book has been sitting on my “to be read” shelf for so long. I do remember that I had read another book by the author (Target Tokyo: Jimmy Doolittle and the Raid That Avenged Pearl Harbor) and that I enjoyed his writing style. Moreover, I admit that before reading this book I had very little knowledge about the Battle of Manila, and I wanted to know more. So I bought it. Right away I should have moved it to the top of the pile.

General Tomoyuki Yamashita, the “Tiger of Malaya,” was tasked to defend the Japanese-occupied Philippines in September 1944, just ten days before American forces under the command of General Douglas MacArthur landed on Leyte. By January 1945, the Americans had landed in two places on the island of Luzon and were working to encircle Manila, the Philippine capital. Yamashita did not declare Manila an open city like MacArthur did in 1941 (to prevent the city’s destruction). He did, however, order a subordinate commander, Admiral Sanji Iwabuchi, to withdraw from the city. Iwabuchi commanded approximately 16,000 Japanese sailors and marines. Rather than leave the city, he had his troops dig in and fight to the death. During the battle, his troops also systematically destroyed the city’s business buildings, burned entire neighborhoods of civilian homes, and killed every Filipino they could find. For what became known as the “Manila Massacre,” Yamashita was charged with war crimes.

In Rampage, James M. Scott provides appropriate background on MacArthur, Yamashita, and the invasion of the Philippines in order to set the stage for the Battle of Manila. The actual fighting and tactics involved are covered in broad brush strokes. The battle primarily involved soldiers from the 1st Cavalry Division, the 37th Infantry Division, and the 11th Airborne Division. Much attention is given to the rescue of the internees held at Santa Tomas University and their hardships during over three years of captivity. An even greater percentage of the book is dedicated to telling the story of war crimes committed by the Japanese Marines against Filipino civilians. Warning: The descriptions are direct quotes from survivors’ accounts and they are graphic. It is estimated that over 100,000 civilians were killed. The book concludes with the trial of General Yamashita immediately after his surrender at the end of the war.

I enjoyed the book. It was readable and paced well so that the pages kept turning. I learned some things I did not know before reading Rampage and I’m left wondering why the atrocities committed during the Manila Massacre are not better known in the United States. I recommend the book because I was entertained and educated and you can’t really ask for more from a nonfiction book. But I think it’s important to remember exactly what kind of horrible acts mankind is capable of committing. So this book is going to stay on my "read again someday" shelf next to The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang, and Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland by Christopher R. Browning.

Full Disclosure: Neither the author nor the publisher provided a review copy of this book. It’s true, I only review books that I like and recommend that you read. And yep, the links to Amazon are affiliates, so I’ll get a few pennies if you choose to purchase one of the books I’ve mentioned above. Thanks!

No comments: