New Year, New Location, New Vocation (and some local history too!)

Elvis is exhausted after
a long walk through
Bothell history.
 I’ve been adding to this blog since 2008, but for the last several years the posts have been pretty sparse. I try not to include a lot of personal information in my posts, but today I feel compelled to explain and share. Back in 2013 my wife and I moved from Washington to California to care for my aging parents. It was there that I started teaching high school. The job and personal issues kept me both busy and out of the frame of mind to write a whole lot. As it turns out, teaching high school and I were not completely compatible (more about that at a later date) and the pandemic only made things worse. My parents had both passed, so Sheila and I asked, “What are we doing here?”

 The answer to that question was basically just putting up with a place we didn’t want to live in and a job that I didn’t really enjoy. Why not live where we want to live and do what we want to do? So, as we are known to do, we made a change. First, we moved back to the Puget Sound area which we consider our home, having lived in the area off and on for over twenty years. We chose the suburb of Bothell, just to the northeast of Seattle. We’ve been here three weeks now and just love it.

 The second part of the question is what will I do now that I’m not teaching. That’s easy. I’m going to rededicate myself to a couple of writing projects. It is exciting to see the positive reviews of our first project, The Boldest Plan is the Best: The Combat History of the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion during WWII. Moreover, I can’t tell you how honored I have been to be contacted by family members after the publication of the book. With the 509th PIB being the first unit to parachute into combat in the European Theater, I had started a project on the 503rd Parachute Infantry, which was the first unit to jump into combat in the Pacific Theater. Now I have the time and inspiration to complete it. Additionally, I think I’ll try my hand at some historical fiction, inspired by the events surrounding these two very special units.

All History is Local

 One of the benefits of our new home is the proximity of great walking and biking paths. I have already fallen into a morning routine of walking with Elvis the Corgi in pursuit of another, more typical, New Year’s resolution. Most mornings we are out at sunrise, easily seen behind the rain clouds, walking on either the Samammish River Trail toward Woodinville or on the Burke-Gilman Trail in the direction of Kenmore.

 This morning we were headed west toward Kenmore and we ran into the “Red Brick Road” park. (See a Video) Today SR-522 (Bothell Way) is a very busy four-lane arterial that will take you into the north end of Seattle. But that route basically started as a logging road which was first paved in 1913. (This is where you should probably be listening to “Telegraph Road” by Dire Straits.) The method of paving? You guessed it: red bricks! When Bothell Way was paved with concrete and straightened, a part of the red brick road was left exposed at a place called the Wayne Curve (Bothell Way at 96th Avenue NE). Some forward-thinking people created a “pocket park” and monument that includes about two-tenths of a mile of red brick paving, from the four-mile stretch running west from Bothell to the suburb of Lake Forest Park.

 I really enjoy these kinds of surprises. I know most people won’t be impressed by a few yards of red bricks. But it’s what it represents. First, it gives you a glimpse into what this area, mostly covered with modern houses and high rise apartments, used to be. That is a small, fairly remote, logging town. Second, it is just another example of the fact that all history is local history.


No comments: